Featured Tip - Be Responsible About Gun Safety
Don’t become a news headline. The life you save may be your child’s! Follow these tips from Safe Kids Worldwide and learn more at https://www.safekids.org/tip/gun-safety-tips:
- Keep guns out of the reach and out of sight of children by storing them securely. Do not leave guns unsecured on a night stand, table, or other place where a child can gain access to avoid injuries and fatalities.
Store guns unloaded and secured with effective, child-resistant gun locks in a locked container out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store ammunition in a separate locked container out of the reach and sight of children.
- Use combination locks and safes, or safes that use fingerprint recognition locks. Keep the combinations carefully hidden.
- When a gun is not being stored, keep it in your immediate possession and control at all times. Otherwise, store the gun unloaded, locked and separate from ammunition.
- If you carry a gun in your car, make sure to outfit your vehicle with a lockable container, so you can securely store the gun when you exit the vehicle.
- If a visitor has a gun in a backpack, briefcase, handbag or an unlocked car, provide them with a place to store it securely (locked, unloaded, and separate from ammunition) while they are in your home.
- If a family member or loved one is in crisis and may be a risk to themselves or others, consider temporarily removing firearms from your home. Such crises can involve people who are depressed, suicidal, or abusing drugs or alcohol.
The City of Columbus and Columbus Fire are offering free gun locks to Columbus residents at local fire stations from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day. Learn more.
For more FCCS parenting tips, click on the links below:
- Are You A Stressed Out Parent?
- Are You A Stressed Out Parent? [Spanish]
- Are You a Stressed Parent? [Somali]
- Choose Your Partner Carefully
- Choose Your Partner Carefully (City of Columbus)
- Easy Ways to Eat Right
- Father Knows Best
- Father Knows Best [Spanish]
- Father Knows Best [Somali]
- Gun Safety
- Home Alone [Spanish]
- Home Alone [Somali]
- How to Develop a Positive Body Image
- Keeping Kids Safe Online
- Leaving a Child At Home Alone
- Never Leave a Child Alone in a Car
- Parenting Teens
- Safe Sleep
- Safe Sleep [Somali}
- Safe Sleep [Spanish]
- Safe Sleep Environment
- Safe Sleep Environment [Spanish]
- Survival Tips for Parents of a New Baby
- Sweet Dreams ... Keeping Sleeping Babies Safe
For additional parenting tips, click on the links below:
- National Institute of Health - Safe Sleep Video
- The ABCs of Safe Infant Sleep Video
- Top 10 Tips for Healthier, Safer Children
- Choose Your Partner Carefully Public Service Announcement
Tips from Ted D. Bear
FCCS's mascot Ted D. Bear speaks directly to kids, providing advice about issues they may face at home, school and in the community. Check out these tips:
- Child Abuse is Unbearable Coloring Book
- Ted D Bear Activity Sheet
- How to Get Help in an Emergency
- How to be Street Smart
- Stay Safe this Summer